It’s not quite officially summer, but the weather is hot and sunny, and ice cream has become one of the major food groups in our home. However, one can’t eat ice cream all day every day, as much as one may like to – so some crochet ice cream (with no calories) is in order.
They don’t require much yarn, so you can make a few in your favorite flavors. They can be used in a play kitchen, or string a few together as a summer party decoration. Or you could let your kids leave them lying on the floor around the house. That’s also an option.
- A small amount of light brown worsted weight yarn (MC) for the cone. A small amount of white, pink or dark brown worsted weight yarn (CC).
- 4mm hook
- blunt needle for weaving in loose ends
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Gauge is not critical for this project, use thicker yarn to get a larger result or lighter yarn for a smaller result.
- Pattern is worked in continuous rounds. Do not turn or join unless specifically instructed.
- Place a marker in the last stitch of every round. Move it up as you work.
- ch – chain
- sc – single crochet
- st – stitch
- sl st – slip stitch.
- flo – front loops only
- dec – invisible decrease. Insert hook into front loop of the indicated stitch. Insert hook into front loop of next stitch. Yarn over, pull yarn through both front loops. You will now have two loops on the hook. Yarn over and pull through both loops to complete the invisible decrease (1 stitch decreased).
- bobble – [yarn over, insert hook in indicated st and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through 2 loops] 3 times, yarn over and pull through all 4 remaining loops on hook.
- [ ... ] – repeat instructions in [ ] as many times as specified.
Ice Cream Flavor
1: With CC, ch 2. 6 sc in second st from the hook, or use the magic loop method.
2: Work 2 sc in each st around – 12 sc at the end of this round (12)
3: [2 sc in next st, sc in next st] 6 times (18)
4: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st] 6 times (24)
5-6: sc in each st around (24)
7: sc in each st around in flo (24).
8: Create the “spill over” ice cream effect – [sl st in next st, bobble in next st] 3 times, sl st in next 8 st, [sl st in next st, bobble in next st] 2 times, sl st in next 6 st.
Ice Cream Cone
1: In back loops left from round 7, join MC and sc 24.
2-3: sc in each st around (24).
4: [dec, sc in next 6 st] 3 times (21)
5: sc in each st around (21)
6: [dec, sc in next 5 st] 3 times (18)
7: sc in each st around (18)
8: [dec, sc in next 4 st] 3 times (15)
9: sc in each st around (15)
10: [dec, sc in next 3 st] 3 times (12)
11: sc in each st around (12)
12: [dec, sc in next 2 st] 3 times (9)
13: [dec, sc in next 1 st] 3 times (6)
Finish stuffing cone and sew shut.
[This pattern is for personal use only. Items made with this pattern may not be sold without my explicit permission. Please read the Terms & Conditions for further details.]