The second tutorial in my rainbow giveaway series is my version of the granny rainbow hat.
I was originally inspired by this rainbow beany by revving it up (I do my best to give credit where it’s due), but when I made one for my daughter, it came out a little bit lumpy. I guess it’s a gauge thing. She wears it anyway.
I was set on having a rainbow hat in the series, so I decided to put some work in and figure out instructions that worked for me. There was some undo-redo, but in the end I came up with a very simple pattern that starts round and stays round, which makes me sooooo happy. I guess it’s an OCD thing.
By the way, if you haven’t entered the giveaway yet – there’s still time! For details click here. It’s open until February 28th, and you can win this hat or enough yarn to make it (and more).
- At least 6 balls of rainbow colors worsted weight yarn. I used 8 balls: red, orange, yellow, green, light blue, turquoise, purple and pink. You’ll have plenty left for other projects.
- 5mm crochet hook
- Blunt needle
- ch – chain
- st – stitch
- sp – space
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- increase – [2 hdc, ch1] twice. When joining for the first stitch of the round, ch 2 instead of the first hdc of the increase.
- [ ... ] – repeat instructions in [ ] as many times as specified.
- Leave a long tail at the end of each round for weaving in later.
- I recommend stopping every few rows to weave in loose ends, otherwise you’ll have a great big mess of long tails in your way.
Round 1: With first color, create a magic loop, or chain 4 and join in first ch to create a loop. I like the top of my hats to be tight, so I always use the first option.
ch 3 (counts as first dc), 7 dc, join in top of first ch 3, and bind off. (8 dc at the end of this round)
Round 2: Join second color in the top of one of the dc from previous round, ch 2, hdc in same st, ch 1. [2 hdc in next st, ch 1] 7 times. Join in top of first ch 2. Bind off.
Round 3: Join next color in one of the ch 1 sp from previous round, Join second color in one of the ch 1 sp from previous round, increase 8 times in the ch 1 spaces. Join in the top of the first ch 2 (remember, the first increase combination starts with a ch 2). Bind off.
Round 4: Join next color in one of the ch 1 sp from previous round, [increase, [2 hdc in next ch 1 sp, ch 1] 3 times] 4 times. Join in top of first ch 2. Bind off.
Round 5: Join next color in one of the ch 1 sp from previous round. ch 2, hdc in same ch 1 sp, ch 1. [2 hdc, ch 1] around. Join in top of first ch 2. Bind off.
Round 6: Join next color in one of the ch 1 sp from previous round, [increase, [2 hdc in next ch 1 sp, ch 1] 5 times] 4 times. Join in top of first ch 2. Bind off.
Round 7-20: repeat round 5.
Weave in loose ends.
[This tutorial is free for commercial use. Please read the Terms & Conditions for further details.]