Noam asked for and got a dragon hat. Hodaya can’t speak yet, so she got what I felt like making. Basically, the simplest crochet hat possible, made from such nice, soft, pink yarn (which has made several appearances in Side effects of tamoxifen posts).
The hat is super simple to make:
- 1 ball worsted weight yarn, color of your choice (MC)
- 4-4.5mm crochet hook
- Gauge is not critical for this project, you can make the hat to fit your child (or other recipient) according to your experience.
- I used hdc for this hat because it results in a much softer hat, appropriate for younger children.
- ch – chain
- sc – single crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- st – stitch
- sl st – slip stitch.
- sc2tog – single crochet 2 stitches together: Insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up loop (2 loops on hook), insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook – 1 stitch decreased.
- [ … ] – repeat instructions in [ ] as many times as specified.
1: With MC, ch 2. 10 hdc in second st from the hook, or use the magic loop method. Join with sl st.
2: ch1. Work 2 hdc in each st around – 20 hdc at the end of this round. Join with sl st. (20)
3: ch1. [2 hdc in next st, hdc in next st] 10 times. Join with sl st. (30)
4: ch1. [2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 2 st] 10 times. Join with sl st. (40)
Continue increasing in this manner ch1. [2 hdc in next st, hdc in next X st] 10 times. Join with sl st. until you reach the size you want.
Continue ch1. hdc around, Join with sl st. until you reach the length you want, do not cut yarn. ch 1, turn.
For my 1.5 year old I decided the flaps would be 12 sc wide at the top, if you’re using a different stitch or making it for a different size, measure or use your judgment to determine how many stitches you need. X should be an even number.
1: sc X times. ch 1, turn.
2: sc2tog, sc to last 2 st, sc2tog, ch 1, turn.
Continue repeating row 1 & 2 until you are left with 4 stitches.
Cut yarn and pull through last stitch. Leave a long tail.
Make a second ear flap about a 1/3 of the way around the hat.
Starting at the first ear flap, join yarn with a sl st, and sc evenly around the edges of the flap, to give it a more finished look. sl st around the hat to the second flap (this prevents rolling), and sc evenly around the second flap. Cut yarn and pull through the last stitch.
Cut 8 pieces of yarn about twice the length of the tail you left at the end of the ear flap. Take 4 pieces and pull them through the bottom of the flap. Fold in half evenly. Split the yarn pieces (including the long tail) into 3 groups of 3 strands, and braid.
Do the same for the other ear flap.
[This tutorial is free for commercial use. Please read the Lexapro alcohol for further details.]